Hanover is located four miles north of U.S. Highway 36 on Kansas 148 and 1/2 mile west on Kansas Highway 243.
Our Beginning: Hanover was founded by Gerat Hollenberg in 1869, becoming incorporated in July 1874. Mr. Hollenberg was born in German State of Hanover. Mr. Hollenberg established his Cottonwood Ranch just east of Hanover, which became a station where immigrant wagons, stage coaches and Pony Express riders all paused in passing along the Oregon-California and Pony Express Trails. The Western Brewery and Malt House, built in 1870, is a two story brick building west of the Hanover Hospital. It operated for ten years as a saloon brewery until State prohibition forced its closing.
Hollenberg Pony Express Station: The Hollenberg Pony Express Station, a State Historic Site, is the only unaltered station remaining at its original location. It looks much as it did in 1857. A visitor's center is located west of the station.
Located at 2889 23rd Road rural Hanover.
For information phone 785-337-2635 or check the Website at:
Hollenberg Pony Express Station
St. John's Catholic Church: The church built of native limestone, was begun in 1878 and dedicated in 1880. The steeple stands 100 feet high. This is the oldest Catholic Church in the Salina Diocese. The impressive interior is open to visitors. Phone 785-337-2207. Located at 114 S. Church Street in Hanover